Can “The Game of Thrones” theme music change how you feel?

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything” – Plato

The Game of Thrones signature music is one of the most amazing pieces of music I have ever heard. And that is saying something.

When a piece of music is good enough, or even transcendent, it bypasses all you ever thought about music… and life: the genre, the trend, what’s cool, what isn’t, what you think you should feel, etc.

Music has a way of capturing things that words cannot, which makes what I am about to say ambitious: I hear this piece of music and it touches my soul.

This is what is says to me:

• Life is hard
  • There is always death
  • There is always cruelty
  • Life goes on regardless
  • People are simultaneously the most beautiful and horrid thing we will ever encounter
  • Pain is what makes love real
  • Never stop fighting
  • Believe in yourself and be true to yourself, no matter how hard it gets
  • Learn to live and move on
  • Enjoy every precious moment that is dear to you
  • Hold that moment like it will last forever, but don’t hold too tight, because nothing lasts forever
  • Feel every emotion, let each one live, this is your life
  • Every pain releases some kind of joy
  • There is magic in the world if you believe
  • Never, ever, let go of hope, whatever pain it may bring you
  • Fight for what you believe in
  • Never give up

Overall, this piece of music gives me hope.  Not lies. Not delusion. Not escape.

A trust in the goodness of life, no matter how brutal it gets.

The music grabbed me before I even saw one scene of the show. Listen to all of the different versions here (with the possible exception of the “floppy disc version” – which although clever is too much for my ears), and feel how music can transcend your thoughts, your mind, and the reality around you. In particular versions 2, 6, 7 and 9 really do it for me. Or you can just jump to the actual theme music.

Just stop thinking for a second and let the music take you. Listen. Close your eyes and feel it. Feel the passion. Feel life.

Music has the power to bring you closer to your soul, and further from the despair that befalls those who have lost sight of their joy and hope.

Take a moment. Forget everything you think you know and listen with your soul. Make it a habit to spend time with it. Alone. Without your thoughts. Let it consume you. Even if it is painful. Because the joy of music always finds a way through even life’s darkest moments.

It’s a habit worth cultivating. Listen. Feel. Surrender.

If you truly listen to this music and turn off your mind for a moment, I know it will touch you. Share your thoughts on how music influences your life. Do you have any particular music pieces that impact you like this?

Picture (c) 123RF Stock Photos

This entry was posted in Posts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Can “The Game of Thrones” theme music change how you feel?

1. Vishnu says:

Keith – you make a great point. Music can help you change the way you feel. Sometimes instantly. I listen to a lot of spiritual music (I listed the favorites in a blog post a couple of months ago) but I listen to all kinds of music to get insipired, to overcome challenges, to relax, to feel motivated, to be hopeful. Our lives are richer because of music.

never heard of the games of thrones theme song and didn’t realize it was this powerful. thanks for sharing.

• Keith says:

Hi Vishnu,

It is a great piece of music, isn’t it?

It really is amazing how what music can help us through. And creating music can be even more cathartic.

Thanks for dropping by.

2. I like that you add “even if it’s painful.” Part of music’s power is the emotional reaction it evokes, and that’s the part that confirms something universal, that someone somewhere feels exactly what we feel. There are people that only listen to positive/uplifting music, and that’s fine for them, but I think we have to honor the full range of human emotions…and that includes sadness and pain.

• Keith says:

Hi, Bri.

Yes, I do believe the full range of emotions needs to be given room to breathe.

Thanks for commenting

3. Razwana says:

Keith – I too had not heard of the theme music and actually haven’t been involved in the whole Game of Thrones ‘thing’ that has been happening lately. My cousins rave about it and I decide I’m ‘too busy’ to give it a go.

The music has changed this.

Love your list of what the music says to you! Is this because you’ve watched the show? Or is it based purely on the music?

Adore the quote by Plato. Music fuels my soul !

• Keith says:

Hey Razwana,

Great to see you here!

Yeah, the Plato quote really grabbed me, too.

I would say that it was initially the music, but it was then coloured by the show. The music still ‘does something’ to me every time I hear it.

4. Steve says:

Wow that’s awesome. I haven’t heard that music before so it was all brand new to me. You’re right on all counts. It does have a lot of passion and life to it.

It’s funny how music can do that. They can be so emotional and make you picture things in your head. When I listen to some classical music, I can feel the emotions the composer is trying to get across. I can feel the energy in the music and if it’s uplifting and things like that.

Thanks for introducing me to this music. Since I haven’t seen the show before I haven’t heard it until now.

• Keith says:

Hi Steve,

Glad the music touched you.

What classical music do you listen to? My favourites would be Dvorak, Mussorgsky & Mozart. Although I also like some Beethoven, Chopin and Janacek. Not a total classical music aficionado but I have been to a couple of live performances and Wow, it makes listening to a CD rather dull. That reminds me, I should go to more live classical music events. Thanks for that little spark :)

5. Hi Keith,

How beautifully you write. What a pleasure to read those words. Thank you for sharing them and reminding me of the beauty of music.

I listened to a few of the versions you suggested but they don’t resonate with me. I think that is the beauty of music. Music rhymes and chimes with our soul – with our feelings. I find my beauty in Ludovico Einaudi, Giovanni Allevi and Deva Premal. I listen to their music – over and over and over. I lay and just soak up the sounds.

All my love, SSS

• Keith says:

Hi SSS,

Thank you so much for dropping by and your kind words :)

Isn’t that the beauty of music? How it can resonate with one person and not another. The way it bypasses the mind and gets into our body and soul.

I haven’t heard of the composers you mentioned but I will definitely have to check them out.

Thanks again for dropping by and taking the time to read, listen and comment. I look forward to connecting with you again.

6. Love the Plato quote! Music definitely has the ability to affect our emotions, and with that knowledge, we have a powerful tool for changing our thoughts our moods at will. When I’m in a down kind of mood, it definitely helps to put on something upbeat, for instance. :-)

I’m not into the whole Game of Thrones phenomenon, but I did click through the link you provided and I listened to the theme music. Powerful piece — thanks for sharing it.

• Keith says:

Hey Nathalie,

Good to see you here :)

Yes, that Plato quote really does capture the spirit of music.

Music is great just to listen to for pleasure, but it does have a healing quality also that we could deliberately use more often – as you do :)

Thanks for visiting and I hope to see you again sometime.