“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything” – Plato
The Game of Thrones signature music is one of the most amazing pieces of music I have ever heard. And that is saying something.
When a piece of music is good enough, or even transcendent, it bypasses all you ever thought about music… and life: the genre, the trend, what’s cool, what isn’t, what you think you should feel, etc.
Music has a way of capturing things that words cannot, which makes what I am about to say ambitious: I hear this piece of music and it touches my soul.
This is what is says to me:
- Life is hard
- There is always death
- There is always cruelty
- Life goes on regardless
- People are simultaneously the most beautiful and horrid thing we will ever encounter
- Pain is what makes love real
- Never stop fighting
- Believe in yourself and be true to yourself, no matter how hard it gets
- Learn to live and move on
- Enjoy every precious moment that is dear to you
- Hold that moment like it will last forever, but don’t hold too tight, because nothing lasts forever
- Feel every emotion, let each one live, this is your life
- Every pain releases some kind of joy
- There is magic in the world if you believe
- Never, ever, let go of hope, whatever pain it may bring you
- Fight for what you believe in
- Never give up
Overall, this piece of music gives me hope. Not lies. Not delusion. Not escape.
A trust in the goodness of life, no matter how brutal it gets.
The music grabbed me before I even saw one scene of the show. Listen to all of the different versions here (with the possible exception of the “floppy disc version” – which although clever is too much for my ears), and feel how music can transcend your thoughts, your mind, and the reality around you. In particular versions 2, 6, 7 and 9 really do it for me. Or you can just jump to the actual theme music.
Just stop thinking for a second and let the music take you. Listen. Close your eyes and feel it. Feel the passion. Feel life.
Music has the power to bring you closer to your soul, and further from the despair that befalls those who have lost sight of their joy and hope.
Take a moment. Forget everything you think you know and listen with your soul. Make it a habit to spend time with it. Alone. Without your thoughts. Let it consume you. Even if it is painful. Because the joy of music always finds a way through even life’s darkest moments.
It’s a habit worth cultivating. Listen. Feel. Surrender.
If you truly listen to this music and turn off your mind for a moment, I know it will touch you. Share your thoughts on how music influences your life. Do you have any particular music pieces that impact you like this?
Picture (c) 123RF Stock Photos